Tuesday 31 January 2012

something different : shoddy UPS service - please help!

I have had a dreadfully tiring few days and haven't had the energy to keep up my Good/Bad/Notables, but I've been trying to help my very close friend, and her daughter, who just happens to be my own daughter's best best friend too, and as the communication with the people in question is seemingly being fruitless, I've decided I'm going to publicise this, with my friend's agreement.

My friend C & I have been close for nearly 7 years, and our kids are good friends too. D just celebrated her 10th birthday, a milestone, a very special occasion, and much joy for all her family. Her grandparents made a special visit from abroad, and she had a very grown-up dinner party. C ordered a very special cake as the centrepiece of the special party. Nothing unusual here, you're probably thinking. However, D has multiple severe & life-threatening allergies. The main allergies she has are dairy, wheat, eggs and nuts. As you can imagine, this makes birthday cake more tricky than average. 

Over the years, C & I have discovered a select few brilliant bakers who cater to these needs, and although it is possible to make simple baked goods at home for D, it's a much bigger deal to get a nice celebration cake which can be shared with others that doesn't taste "free-from", and if a professional can do it, then that is much better than trying to achieve this at home as well as organise the rest of the party.
So C ordered a wonderful cake from a fabulous lady based in Reading, and it was sent via UPS on Thursday to be delivered with Next Day delivery to arrive on Friday for the party on Saturday.
However, it became apparent on Friday evening that UPS had LOST the enormous box with bright stickers indicating the important contents. 
I tweeted UPS on Saturday because D was understandably devastated, and I wanted UPS to know.  It is sad when something goes wrong with a much longed-for and eagerly anticipated birthday cake, but most people can make a dash to a local bakery or supermarket and at least replace it with SOMETHING in time. Not so with this cake.
C spent the morning making some free-from cupcakes, the lovely cake making lady was on the phone with help and advice, and the cupcakes were lovely, but that's not the point.

Someone from UPS did get in touch with me, all eager to help, but imagine my disappointment, and C's anger when the cake turned up today, 5 days late, with a half-hearted apology, and UPS decided that all is well now the cake has arrived.
I doubt anyone would want to eat it 6 days after baking, the party has long gone, and nothing will undo the damage done to D.
She is a fantastic child, and she happens to have some rather serious allergies.  She has NEVER felt or been treated as limited in any way before. But I could clearly see that she now feels limited by her allergies, and that makes me angry.
At the very least, I think UPS should repay the cost of the cake and delivery to both C and the cake maker. I also think they should consider forking out for a fresh new cake free-from which could maybe be shared with the class as a belated celebration.
I certainly don't think they should just allow themselves to feel all is fine now.
Please share this story as much as possible, I'd really like them to take some responsibility.

5 comments:

  1. Disgraceful behaviour on their part. Totally reasonable of you to expect total reimbursement, the bakery compensated for loss of time and ingredients and a replacement cake sent free of charge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a UPS team member (and parent), I understand your friend’s disappointment. Children’s birthdays are special occasions and I was sad to read that UPS did not deliver a satisfactory experience.

    We’d like to learn more so that we can provide further assistance. Please ask your friend to send the tracking number for the cake along with her contact details to upsfeedback@ups.com.


    Debbie Curtis-Magley
    UPS Public Relations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, thanks for posting a reply. I have been emailing with Katrina Wright in the Corporate Social Media Team and before that with Geneva Mains in Corporate Customer Relations. I shall send details to the email address above as you request. UPS in the UK have been appallingly blase, and we are not getting the feeling that anyone understands that it's not "ok" just because it has now been delivered. At one point someone told my friend it had no labels. I saw the parcel and it is COVERED in bright labels alerting to the contents!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for both the email and the reply to my comment. I'm glad to hear that you've been in touch with Katrina. I've shared your email with our Corporate Customer Relations team. I hope we can deliver a better experience to your friend "C" soon.

      Delete
  3. This is really sad to hear and I hope that UPS can come good and make it up to this young lady.

    ReplyDelete